Thursday, October 24, 2013

One Room School House









The log cabin school now resides in Renfro Village.



A pot belly stove in the middle of the room was the only source of heat in the one room school house.  Chalk boards and readers lay frozen in time on the desks. I tried to imagine those precious little faces of long ago sitting quietly at those desks. What must it have been like on those cold winter days?


I wondered what kind of pranks the children might have played on each other. Can you imagine a little boy placing a frog on the desk of a little girl he was sweet on just to hear her squeal. And the children filling the room with laughter as they try to catch the frightened frog as he leaped from desk to desk.




Seeing the children's lunch pails hanging along the wall on wooden pegs made me wonder what kind of food did they carry in those little pails? Did every child have enough food to eat? I felt a wave of emotion come over me as I thought of the difficulties those children must have endure obtaining an education. Then I thought about all the wonderful accomplishments those young pioneers achieved and my heart surged with pride. They made our world a better place.


All photos taken with a Nikon D800, lens 35-70,2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment